Monday, February 15, 2010

Performance Metrics

When I was a boy, my Dad used to ask me, "What have you done today to justify your existence?" I always hated that question. My answers seemed so insignificant. Looking back, it was a good question to ask a youngster, because it prepared me for working life where that question gets asked a lot.

But it can still be scary if you don't have the right answer.

A reader has asked if I knew of anyone who has a set of performance metrics she could use. By "performance metrics" she means, "how can you tell when your Executive Communications team is being successful?"

In my Dad's vernacular, how is your Executive Communications function justifying its existence, and if so, to what degree? What metrics are you using to gauge success?

If you want to weigh in, send your answers to me at rjmccall@executivecom.com or leave a comment below. I'll post what I receive so everyone can benefit.

1 comment:

  1. Ron, thank you for posting this. Our EC team is relatively new and higher-ups have asked us for "metrics." It feels like our results are very subjective and difficult to quantify. I'd love to hear from others who are reading this post how they define success, especially as it rates to individual performance goals at annual review time.

    ReplyDelete